Skip to content

Wolves suffer 3-1 loss at Grand Rapids

January 16, 2014

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — A last-minute goal put the Chicago Wolves on the board, but it was too little and too late as they fell to the Grand Rapids Griffins 3-1 Wednesday night at Van Andel Arena.

The Wolves (20-14-1-2) fired 34 shots on goal, but none got through until right wing Mike Davies scored with 36 seconds left in the game. Chicago goaltender Jake Allen (15-8-2) kicked out 30 shots.

Play remained tight through the first half of the game as both teams exchanged quality chances on either end of the ice.

The scoreless deadlock was broken 12:41 into the second period by the Griffins (26-10-1-2). Center David McIntyre fired a high shot from the blue line that was tipped by right wing Mitch Callahan from the middle of the zone. The redirect evaded Allen low as it deflected off right wing Jordin Tootoo, who was stationed as a screen in front of the goal.

Grand Rapids increased its lead early in the final frame with Tootoo’s second tally of the night at 2:45. As the Wolves transitioned up ice, the Griffins stole the puck and moved it back the other way. Center Landon Ferraro fed Tootoo as he sped towards the net, and Tootoo tapped it past Allen for the 2-0 lead.

Two late third-period goals added some action in the end, but ultimately did not change the outcome. Defenseman Xavier Ouellet iced the Griffins win with a blast from the blue line through a screen that beat Allen glove-side at 18:25. Davies put the Wolves on the board at 19:24.

Grand Rapids goaltender Tom McCollum (16-7-1) made 33 saves to earn the win.

The Wolves return home and will wear their First Responders specialty jersey for the final time at 7:30 p.m. Friday against Toronto at Allstate Arena. For tickets, call 1-800-THE-WOLVES or visit ChicagoWolves.com.


Chicago 0 0 1 — 1

Grand Rapids 0 1 2 — 3

First Period—None. Penalties—Oberg, Chicago (hooking), 3:32; Tootoo, Grand Rapids (roughing), 3:32; Regner, Chicago (hooking), 8:58.

Second Period—1, Grand Rapids, Tootoo 2 (Callahan, McIntyre), 12:41. Penalties—Grant, Grand Rapids (cross-checking), 3:24; Wannstrom, Chicago (high-sticking), 10:07; Evans, Grand Rapids (interference), 16:49; Almquist, Grand Rapids (elbowing), 19:03; Marchenko, Grand Rapids (tripping), 19:50.

Third Period—2, Grand Rapids, Tootoo 3 (Ferraro, McIntyre), 2:45; 3, Grand Rapids, Ouellet 3 (Emmerton, Jarnkrok), 18:25; 4, Chicago, Davies 3 (Hanson, Harper), 19:24. Penalties—Aucoin, Chicago (unsportsmanlike conduct), 10:46; Aucoin, Chicago (10-minute misconduct), 10:46; Tootoo, Grand Rapids (cross-checking), 10:46; Davies, Chicago (kneeing), 12:56.

Shots on goal—Chicago: 10-11-13—34; Grand Rapids: 9-11-13—33. Power plays—Chicago 0-4; Grand Rapids 0-3. Goalies—Chicago, Allen (30-33), Grand Rapids, McCollum (33-34). A—5,493. Referees—T.J. Luxmore and Peter Tarnaris. Linesmen—Kevin Hall and Jim Scarpace.