Skip to content

Streak ends at six

Chicago 4 | Rockford 5

Forward Gage Quinney scored with 1:26 remaining in regulation to force overtime, but the Chicago Wolves fell to the Rockford IceHogs in the extra session, 5-4, on Friday night in Illinois Lottery Cup action at Allstate Arena.

Defenseman Nic Hague and forwards Daniel Carr and Curtis McKenzie also tallied goals for Chicago (16-9-3-1) while goaltender Max Lagace (7-6-1) saved 20 shots.

“I thought tonight was a good game,” said Wolves head coach Rocky Thompson. “We had some really nice looks in overtime. Actually, we had the first number of looks. We had the game on our stick a couple of times and it didn’t work out.”

Darren Raddysh scored the game-winner for Rockford (15-10-2-4) with 39 seconds left in overtime while forward Alexandre Fortin scored twice and forward Jacob Nilsson and defenseman Lucas Carlsson each added a goal. Netminder Anton Forsberg (7-3-1) earned the win with 32 saves.

Trailing 4-3 late in the third period, the Wolves pulled Lagace for an extra attacker and reaped the benefits when Quinney entered the Rockford zone and ripped a shot from the top of the circle through Forsberg’s legs to force extra time.

Hague opened the scoring with his ninth goal of the year at the 10:40 mark, sniping a shot to the far side over goaltender Anton Forsberg’s blocker. Forward T.J. Tynan picked up his 23rd assist of the year on the play, skating around the zone to draw everyone to the left side before sending a cross-ice pass to Hague on the right dot.

Nilsson tied the game up at 12:58 on Rockford’s power play with a one-timer in the high slot.

Fortin tallied his pair of goals early in the second to give Rockford a 3-1 lead by the 4:06 point of the period, but the Wolves came back to knot the game once again.

Defenseman Dylan Coghlan entered the Rockford zone, dropping a pass at the blue line for forward Tomas Hyka. Hyka turned and set up McKenzie to one-time a shot from the high slot over Forsberg’s shoulder at 9:11.

Carr was rewarded at 14:11 after an extensive battle for the puck in the corner ended with Carr gaining control and sending a pass to defenseman Zach Whitecloud at the point. Whitecloud’s shot from up high was saved, but Carr had hustled to the net and was in place to grab the rebound and deposit it to extend his goal streak to four games.

The teams were tied up through most of the third period until Carlsson surged down the right side and cut to the center, shooting past Lagace at 16:39.

The Wolves wrap up their pre-holiday slate with a 3 p.m. game Saturday at Milwaukee that will be televised on CW50. The Wolves play their final home game of 2018 – Super Hero Night, presented by Xfinity — on Saturday, Dec. 29, against Rockford.