Skip to content

Tim Breslin Scholarship and Awards

In Memoriam

Tim Breslin (1967-2005), one of the first three players signed by the Wolves organization, passed away on Feb. 9, 2005, due to complications from appendiceal cancer, which is a malignancy of the appendix. The Addison native and Driscoll Catholic High School graduate played five seasons with the Wolves and was an important member of the 1998 Turner Cup Championship squad.

Read this column by the Daily Herald’s Barry Rozner: “Ten years after death of Wolves legend, a light shines through”

Learn more about Tim Breslin.

2021-22 TIM BRESLIN UNSUNG HERO AWARD WINNER

The Chicago Wolves are proud to announce defenseman Max Lajoie was honored during the home game on Sunday, April 10, as the winner of the 2022 Tim Breslin Unsung Hero Award. This honor celebrates the Wolves player who best exemplifies the late Breslin’s on-ice spirit, team-first attitude and level of community involvement.

“It’s a huge honor,” Lajoie said. “I’m really happy to be given this award. I read Tim Breslin’s story online and it’s very meaningful to me to be associated with him.”

Breslin, the Addison native who was one of the first players signed after the Wolves organization was founded in 1994, was an important part of the Wolves’ first five teams — including the 1998 Turner Cup champions. Not only did Breslin play a valuable role on the ice and in the dressing room, he embraced being a role model in the community and continually volunteered to make appearances at Wolves events such as Read To Succeed.

Breslin passed away on Feb. 9, 2005, due to complications from appendiceal cancer. In response to his death, the Wolves created the Unsung Hero award as well as the Breslin Memorial Scholarship that provides $7,500 toward college tuition for a high-school senior who has overcome a personal hardship.

Lajoie, a 24-year-old from Quebec City, earned the Unsung Hero honor as voted by Wolves fans in March. Lajoie produced 4 goals and 29 assists in 60 games during the regular season, then joined Jalen Chatfield to forge the AHL’s most dominant defensive pairing during the postseason as the Wolves captured the Calder Cup championship.

“He is our unsung hero,” said Wolves head coach Ryan Warsofsky. “You probably don’t see all of the good stuff that he does and the details to his game. He just plays exactly how we want to play. He’s extremely coachable. He plays in all situations. He’s a great teammate. I could go on and on about this kid. Sometimes you wish you had about 15 of him just because he does things the right way.”

Bischoff joins Jake Bischoff (2020), Zac Leslie (2019), T.J. Tynan (2018), Bryce Gervais (2017), Andre Benoit (2016), Brent Regner (2014, 2015), Bill Sweatt (2013), Mark Matheson (2012), Jaime Sifers (2011), Matt Anderson (2010), Steve Martins (2009), Brian Sipotz (2008), Brian Fahey (2007), Kevin Doell (2006) and Tim Wedderburn (2005) as the Wolves players who have earned the Breslin Award.

2021-22 Tim Breslin Memorial Scholarship Recipient

Peoria Notre Dame High School senior Olivia Munson, who devotes herself to numerous noble causes despite an ambitious academic and athletic schedule, won the 2022 Breslin Scholarship that provides $7,500 toward her college tuition for her freshman year. She will attend Xavier in the fall.

“Through loss I choose to bring life to everyone I meet,” Munson wrote. “Empathy and caring are strong parts of my character. I love helping others and excited about my future as a nurse.”

How to apply

Check back in during the 2022-23 season for more details.

Previous Unsung Hero Award Winners